Today in my Adolescent Development class we are doing a mock trial. This case involves 16 year old Jenni, who attended a high school that taught abstinence-only sex education. She and her boyfriend had sex one night and, of course, got pregnant. This is a mock trial where only one romp in the sheets produces a baby, when statistically, I know otherwise (she and her boy should start buying lotto tickets with their odds). She is suing the school district for teaching abstinence only, for if she had supposedly known about contraceptives she would have used them and not gotten pregnant.
So many flaws in the case to begin with. But hey, it's required for class, so I'll roll with the punches here.
And then... and then... I am the Doctor on the defense. The "expert", given 48 hours of mad googling since I suddenly and unexpectedly became Dr. Eliane Borawski. But the lawyer from our side, a classmate, insists on arguing this from a moral perspective. Like "She should not have had sex! That is wrong! She is unmarried!"
Well... the ficticious deed has been done already... no point in arguing morals now.
So as you can see, today I am going to ride a sinking ship in front of 40 of my closest classmates. And I don't particularly enjoy being embarrassed. But alas, I will ride this ship down in my costume and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment